Have you ever endured a boring lecture as a student?
Many of us have been there at some point, wondering how else we could have spent our valuable time. Well, the struggle is evident in the recent Gradient poll, where 80% of teachers have revealed their concern about declining levels of student engagement in the classrooms. So, how can teachers tackle this challenge?
Today’s educators are prepared and have embraced technology as a collective experience to promote learning at schools. Every day, we hear of innovative trends revolutionizing the classroom experience, and collaborative learning platforms are one of them.
Let’s learn some more about their impact and co-related benefits.
Table of Contents:
VI. Wrapping Up
What is Collaborative Learning?
This instructional approach allows students to work together in small groups on a common task or problem.
Collaborative learning is a proven method of teaching and learning that has been used in classrooms around the world. It is an effective way to engage students:
- In their own learning
- To develop their critical thinking
- Encourage problem-solving
- Improve communication skills
Students can collaborate with classmates or peers from other schools and share their ideas with teachers and other members of their community. Collaborative learning activities can range from working on an extended project to sharing answers during class discussions and debates.
Collaborative Learning Platform: An Overview
Let’s begin with a question- What is the most important aspect that increases student engagement?
The answer can vary among different options like teachers, teaching mode, educational curriculum, learning environment, and beyond-the-classroom experience. Though teachers play a paramount role, learning no longer depends on conventional methods.
A collaborative learning platform is an online tool designed to improve student engagement outcomes through self-paced learning implemented by various interactive methods like gamification. With the ever-increasing usage of smart gadgets like smartphones, tablets, and laptops for learning, we are moving into a technology-driven education sector.
How Does Collaborative Learning Help?
In the words of a high school teacher from Iowa in the United States who participated in the Gradient Learning Poll 2023:
“[When students are engaged] student curiosity, discussion, questions, and participation increases.”
Collaborative learning is so successful because it does all of this and more. Here is a snapshot of the benefits:
- Students learn from each other, often reaching higher levels of achievement than they could on their own.
- They also gain confidence by being part of a team, which helps them develop positive social skills such as teamwork and communication.
- The platforms allow teachers and administrators to always see what’s going on inside their classrooms.
- Build stronger relationships with their peers, which can be beneficial in college life and after graduation.
- Students have more opportunities to share ideas with each other and develop their unique perspectives on the subject matter being studied.
- They also get feedback on their ideas and contributions from others who offer constructive criticism that helps them improve their work.
Ground-Breaking Central Focus: A Collaborative Learning Platform
A collaborative learning platform is an online environment that allows students and teachers to interact with one another in real time using their computers or mobile devices.
This platform provides opportunities for formal and informal interactions between learners from different locations and educational backgrounds who may be working on projects together or just having casual conversations about schoolwork or other topics.
Content is Crucial
The first step to enhancing student engagement is to provide the best possible content. A collaborative learning platform can help you do exactly that. By making it easy for students to share and comment on content, you’re allowing them to interact meaningfully with each other and teachers.
Sharing Content is Essential
A collaborative learning platform allows students to collaborate by sharing content with one another. Students can share any type of media they want, including videos, infographics, podcasts, and more. They can also create groups and invite their friends to join. Teachers can host their own groups as well so they can easily share files with their entire class at once.
Feedback on Content is Feasible
Students can comment on any content shared in their group or classroom. The teacher will be notified when someone leaves a comment so they can respond quickly if necessary. This makes it easy for teachers to assign tasks that require more than just watching a video or reading an article – they can ask students to respond with their own thoughts about what they saw or read.
Tips on How to Choose an Effective Collaborative Learning Platform
Collaborative learning platforms are a great way to set up collaborative activities for your students. There are many different types of platforms available, but here are some things to look for when choosing one:
- Look for a platform that offers various tools and activities that can be used for group work. Some examples include discussion forums, quizzes, games, blogging, and more!
- Ensure the platform can be accessed from all devices, including desktop computers, laptops, mobiles, and tablets. This will make it easier for students to access the platform at home or school if needed.
- Consider how easy it is to use the platform. Is there support available if you have any questions? Can you get clear instructions on how to use it? Are there videos or tutorials available?
The future of online learning lies in collaborative technologies that allow students to work together in real time. Active peer engagement is one of the most effective ways for students to learn. However, this type of learning can be difficult to implement, especially when the subject matter is technical or abstract.
However, a collaborative learning platform must be supplemented by engaging content. Digital textbook platforms like KITABOO allow students to interact with one another and their instructor in real time within the course material itself. This can help foster an environment where students feel safe asking questions, sharing their knowledge, and discovering new solutions.
Request a demo- Contact us!
You May Also Like